We are a leading manufacturer of a diverse and trusted range of concrete and clay building products used extensively within the construction sector, with instantly recognizable brands such as Thermalite blocks, London Brick, Ecostock, Cradley, Formpave and Jetfloor, Bison Precast.
Our product range comprises of clay bricks, Thermalite blocks, aggregate blocks, Red Bank chimney, roofing and flue systems, precast concrete and flooring products and Formpave permeable paving.
Forterra represents exactly what we do and have always done. Our purpose is to manufacture products that are the essential to the nation’s construction sector, helping our customers build with ease and confidence. Moreover, we continue to lead our industry in terms of standards and safety.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our team in the position of Materials Development Engineer at Measham.
To work under the guidance of the Head of Materials Development, and to engage with key business stakeholders within the “Strategy” and “Operations” divisions within the organisation. You will undertake research & technical development projects primarily within the heavy clay (bricks, brick slips, terracotta), but will have the opportunity to contribute to projects within aircrete (AAC blocks), and the concrete (precast concrete, blocks, pavers, flooring and facades) parts of the Forterra business, in line with business needs. These projects will predominantly be focussed around Forterra’s drive to significantly reduce our carbon impact principally through the materials aspects of existing and new product development, improve materials/energy usage and technical performance, reduce or eliminate specific sustainability/environmental impacts, and optimise/improve manufacturing processes.
You will actively contribute to existing materials based strategic projects and work closely with a mentor and the senior leadership team in reviewing the current estate and recommending changes.
- Help undertake investigations allied to business R&TD strategy in the identification, sampling, testing and interpretation of materials core to Forterra’s current product lines, in concrete, clay and aircrete.
- Undertake and be responsible for defined projects (including supervised and un-supervised laboratory work) that will assist in building up core knowledge regarding the characteristics, performance and potential utilisation of new and novel materials within the business, including secondary and recycled materials.
- Work with the key individuals within the Materials Development function and the wider Technical Team to identify potential materials based opportunities.
- Engage with colleagues within Operations (Plants) and the Quality Team Technical Leads to identify opportunities for improvement in materials and processes.
- Development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and test methodologies.
- Management and mentoring of junior laboratory staff.
- Help with overall project management and delivery, on-time in-full.
- Preparation and delivery of project updates and final reports.
Education & Qualification
- Ceramic/Heavy Clay Technology, Material Science, Geoscience or Materials Engineering background (Batchelor degree or relevant experience equal to +7yrs preferred, BTEC/HNC – Chemistry or Material Science Minimum)
- Ideally you will have experience within the field of Heavy Clay Technology, either from a clay brick, block, pipe, paver or roof tile manufacturing perspective or a keen interest in heavy clay technology from a materials science background.