We have an extensive network of 18 manufacturing facilities in the UK, employing approximately 1,900 people.
We are a leading manufacturer of a diverse and trusted range of concrete and clay building products used extensively within the construction sector, with instantly recognisable brands such as Thermalite blocks, London Brick, Ecostock, Cradley, Formpave and Jetfloor, BisonPrecast.
Our product range comprises of clay bricks, Thermalite blocks, aggregate blocks, Red Bank chimney, roofing and flue systems, precast concrete and flooring products and Formpave permeable paving. Forterra represents exactly what we do and have always done. Our purpose is to manufacture products that are the essential to the nation’s construction sector, helping our customers build with ease and confidence. Moreover, we continue to lead our industry in terms of standards and safety. We are currently looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our team in Desford in the position of Brick Operative.
The role holder will play a safe and active part in the Manufacturing process, being responsible to ensure all products presented are of best quality, rejecting unsuitable products, whilst safely maintaining minimum downtime in order to ensure all products are made to their designated specifications, to achieve both the kiln requirements and current safety, output and quality targets.
All duties listed must be carried out safely and effectively, work and adhere to Forterra health & safety zero harm policy.
- Before starting of the process ensure a daily safety check sheet is filled out reporting any defects immediately To the production foreman
- To constantly monitor each stage of the process.
- Ensure correct setting pattern is been applied as per specification sheet
- Rectify all stoppages/malfunctions asking for assistance when needed.
- Ensure all P.P.E is worn at all times.
- Ensure dust extraction unit is working correctly
- Ensure correct die is used for the product.
- Ensure date stamp reads correctly.
- Ensure moisture content is correct to help plasticity/ texture and strength
- Ensure Vacuum is set correctly to specification sheet
- Ensure lubricating oil is set correctly as not waste oil.
- Check product periodically against specification sheet as well as squareness and size.
- To fabricate cutting wires to keep from running out, also change die and wires when necessary to aid quality.
- Ensure correct setting pattern is used.
- Ensure designated brick ties required are undertaken.
- To carry out De-Hacking operations (please see attached job competency description)
- Ensure all housekeeping duties are carried out as and when required.
- Report all irregularities/health & safety issues to plant managers/ production foreman.
- When entering any guarded area relevant safe work procedure must be adhered to.
- Undertake any relevant training as requested
The job requires no formal education or qualification, the role does require a minimum of 3 months training from competent operator ensuring close supervision during the period, and a competency check procedure carried out on all duties.
- Company online Induction
- Competency Check
- COSHH training
- Isolation Lock off training
- Silica Awareness training
- Working at Height training
- Spill kit Training
- Manual Handling training
- Risk Assessment training
- PPE awareness and training (including face fit testing)